Why Google cares about Authorship
What is all of this author rank mumbo jumbo you say?
Author rank boils down to the following points:
- Search Engines (like Google) value original content
- Search engines fight a constant battle against web spam
- Google wants google+ to proliferate throughout the social landscape
- Authorship creates accountability
So what does authorship mean for website owners?
- Owners need to continue to create content.
- Getting your image into googles results will help click through rates… Especially if you are good looking…!
- There is a new way to influence search results.
- Content is still king.
- Reposting others content doesn’t make you a source, but you does help the original author… Quid pro quo. Better create a social media buddies list! Sumddies rule!
How do I set up Authorship for my website?
1. Link to your google+ profile from your web pages using rel=author
2. Verify that Google sees the authorship reference – via webmaster tools and the structured data > rich snippets tool
3. You can also add the meta author tag.